I’ve had lasagna a lot of times (mostly in Seoul), but apparently, it wasn’t the “Italian” way. (At least according to a very proud, 34-year-old Italian. Hmmp.) So here comes the review/recipe. (I admit it was pretty dang good.)
This yellowy white cream thing is called Besciamella and it’s what’s make the lasagna so good. And a little worrisome because it’s mostly just butter, but this thought is vanished as soon as you take the first bite.
라자냐 파스타 층 중간에 넣는 소스는 베샤멜라 (이탈리아), 베샤멜 소스 (프랑스). 다양한 요리에 쓴다는데 이걸 써야 맛있다. 걱정되는게 있다면 주재료가 버터와 우유라는건데, 완제품 라자냐 먹기 시작하면 바로 까먹는다.
I remember when my mom had to cook the pasta and then add it into the lasagna, but now many brands sell lasagna pasta that can just be added and into the oven without a drop of water. As for the filling, you can add different veggies too, including egg plant or zucchini, but we kept it quite simple. It’s just the ragù sauce that has to be good.
라구 소스가 맛있어야 제대로다. 다른 레스토랑이나 친구들이 만든 라자냐를 먹어보면 소스가 맛있으면 무조건 맛있음. 소스가 약간 싱거우면 전체적으로 싱거운 라자냐가 되어버린다.
If you are in Stuttgart and you just don’t want to deal with all the sauce, pasta and cream, head to Il Pomodoro. The one in Wilhelmstrasse 4 (+49 711 2362057). They do the best pizza in town, but also a very good lasagna, which comes out steaming, boiling hot.
- Lasagna pasta.
- Ragù sauce (chicken stock (1/2 cube), onion (1), carrots (2), grinded meat (300g, preferably meat+pork), white wine (1 cup), salt and pepper, tomato paste (500g), celery (1 stick), a pinch of nutmeg and teaspoon of dried basil, extra virgin olive oil)
- Besciamella, or Bechamel sauce ((milk 500g), butter (500g), flour (50g) and a punch of nutmeg and salt)
- Mozzarella, Parmigiano cheese
Recipe for the Ragù sauce
- Drizzle olive oil in a deep pot and cook chopped onion until brown.
- Add in grinded carrots, celery and keep over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the meat and mix.
- Add in cup of white wine and chicken stock cube.
- Add in salt, pepper, nutmeg.
- Add in the tomato paste and basil.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
Recipe for the Besciamella
- Melt the butter on a medium size pan.
- Add in the flour and mix with a whisk. Continue to mix until smooth and does not attach to the bottom of the pan.
- When it starts to become a dark yellow in color, add in the milk.
- Add in the nutmeg and lower the heat and mix until you get a smooth, a bit sticky consistency. It should look like the photo above.
Recipe for the lasagna
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Drizzle some olive oil on a lasagna dish.
- Add in a thin layer of ragù sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Add in layer of the lasagna pasta.
- Add in layer of the ragù sauce.
- Add in layer of Besciamella.
- Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmigiano.
- Continue this layer: Lasagna pasta-> ragù sauce->Besciamella->mozzarella and Parmigiano until the top. The very top should be Besciamella. (It can also be the cheese, but it tends to burn quite quickly.)
- Cover the dish with aluminium foil and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Take off the foil after 45 minutes and bake for another 20 minutes so the top browns and gets crunchy.
All photos by rachelsanghee